Grain / Noise on surfaces in renders

Hi all,

I’m having issues with grainy / noisey surfaces and shaders in Artlantis 6.5 and beyond. This happens in these below scenarios:

1. When REFLECTION colour of a shader is anything lighter than pure black (RGB 0-0-0)
  2. When the SHININESS level of a shader is anything other than 0 or 1000 when using a REFLECTION colour that isn’t black (eg RGB 20-20-20).
  3. Neon light shader (or light plane shader) is used.

I have attached the below items with the settings used to create each scene as examples of this.

Render Test A:

• Rendering Parameters shown
  • Neon light shader to rear of circular unit shining onto wall (eg halo effect) and recessed light strip under shelves (both set to 1000-1500 lm)
  • Black chairs - REFLECTION colour RGB 20-20-20, shininess 10
    Note: Grainy texture on wall, ceiling, counters, bottles and black salon chairs

Render Test B:

• No neon light shaders used at all
  • Black chairs - REFLECTION colour RGB 20-20-20, shininess 10 (as per Render Test A)
    Note: No grainy texture except for black salon chairs

Render Test C:

• Neon light shader to rear of circular unit shining onto wall (eg halo effect) and recessed light strip under shelves (both set to approx 15000 lm)
  • Black chairs - REFLECTION colour RGB 20-20-20, shininess 10
    Note: Slightly less grainy texture to that of Render Test A.

I have found similar posts from other users regarding similar issues, however, their resolutions have not fixed the problems. Anyone who could help with this?

Thank you!

Hello,

You made those tests with version 6.5, 7 and 2019 ?
You have the same results in each version ?

For the grain on the chair I would suggest a shininess of 750. 10 is too small and will create grain and in a longer time !

For the grain coming from the neon shader, you should keep a lighting value to 1500-2000lm and increase the light sampling to 5.
If you are using version 2019 you can increase light sampling to 6, it will take a little longer but there should be nearly no grain.

To have more infos on how to set rendering parameters you coud also read this article: artlantis.com/2017/10/30/speed- … antis-6-5/

Best regards,

I hate this new neon shader. It’s very problematic. In 6,5 was amazing effect. Now I hate this shader. What happen? Fix this.